Friday, April 1, 2011

grill n pizza

Food! I love to cook... and eat!!  It is nice to have a man that can use the stove too!  I'm pretty lucky in that department.  We LOVE to make homemade pizza together.  My husband is getting good at the perfect crust.  He usually turns to me for the spices and goodies.  I often use an ingredient or two on most recipes and then improvise on the rest.  Do you get Vegetarian Times?  If not, subscribe.  It's a good one.  Even if you're not veggie...the pizza recipes look yummo in this month's issue.  I was flipping through last night and started craving our grilled roasted garlic pizza!  Spring around the corner = grill time.  GRILL it, so much better!  Will share this recipe when we actually have spring weather.  No grill tonight in the cold & no time to make homemade crust & no husband home to light the grill.  Pizza is on the mind though; you bet your buns my oven will be hot!  I might try this from an older Veg Time's Mag.  Looks good huh?  ...or maybe combine it with one in this current issue...balsamic-glazed onions and goat cheese!  YUM  (I'm also lucky my daughter will eat the random stuff I like to make!)

Vegetarian Times


Portobello Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella

1 12-inch (1-lb.) prepared pizza crust, such as Rustic Crust
  • 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 3 medium-size portobello mushrooms, chopped (about 2 cups)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
  • 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion
  • 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, drained, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups arugula or baby spinach
**Instead of the marinara sauce I have some olive terpenade that I'm going to use, will caramelize my onions and maybe substitute my cheeses.  I just got some fresh goodies from my biweekly delivery, will have to see what I actually have in my fridge to work with.  Green B.E.A.N Delivery....try it if you're in the area!  Love it for winter time and we try to eat local as much as we can.

Directions

Preheat oven to 450F. Coat 12-inch round pizza pan or baking sheet with cooking spray, and set crust in pan.
  1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 30 seconds, stirring often. Stir in vinegar, and remove from heat.
  2. Brush crust with remaining 2 tsp. olive oil. Spread sauce on crust. Scatter mushroom mixture on top. Sprinkle with red onion. Arrange mozzarella slices over vegetables, and sprinkle with Parmesan.
  3. Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Scatter arugula on top. Cut into slices, and serve.
        cheers

No comments: